:: Re: [devuan-dev] wicd (was: Sources…
Author: Andreas Messer
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] wicd (was: Sources unbuildable on Devuan
Am Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 03:20:43PM -0400 schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 08:38:19PM +0200, Andreas Messer wrote:
> >
> > However, I volunteer to work on some of these packages to have them
> > systemd free. Hopefully with better outcome than wicd. Sorry for that,
> > but seems no one is really using it - including me - and Gray seems to
> > have his own ideas how to continue it.
>
> What *is* the current state of the wicd package? Does it now work on chimaera?

I started some work on it around christmas. It included fixes for
python 3 syntax, gtk and some initial try to bring more structure to the
code. GUI & daemon were at least starting on chimaera then.

I was just about improving a bit the "auto detection" code (which turned
out to favour my kvm virtual networks over eth0) when Gray popped in,
said he has anything ready, put his code to gitea.devuan.org and said
this is the new wicd project site. So I stopped further work on it. Not
sure whats coming next. I was a bit disappointed, especially since it
took me quite some time to get in touch with the former project leads and
take over the project on launchpad. Gray could have asked there in
advance.

You might try Grays package source if you want, it somewhere on
gitea.devuan.org. I don't have a devuan package ready yet, just the
project source adapted in a separate branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~wicd-devel/wicd/+git/wicd-1/+ref/python3

cheers,
Andreas

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51