:: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildabl…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on Devuan
Hi,

Mark Hindley <mark@???> writes:

> I have just built src:dummy-systemd-dev for experimental.
>
> The binary contains a single file[1] extracted from Debian's systemd binary
> package. The file enables other package builds to query installation paths using
> pkg-config(1).
>
> Whilst I have not tested all of the Build-Depends: systemd sources in our
> archive, manual installation of dummy-systemd-dev has enabled compilation of
> alsa-utils and pipewire. Further testing is welcome. There may still be packages
> for which this is insufficient.

Based on the thread content, I get the distinct impression that that
Build-Depends: is really a "Build-Configure-Depends:" where the project
uses autoconf, CMake or similar with a bit of code to check for the
presence of systemd related header files and/or libraries. If so, I
would sort of expect those projects to do the Right Thing and disable
anything that really depends on systemd or fail to configure.

If it doesn't do either of those and bombs partway through the build,
that'd be a bug, in my dictionary.

Assuming it does, any Debian "systemd-dev" kind of package should, for
Devuan purposes, *not* include header files and/or libraries. It should
only contain the bare minimum to let projects pass its configure stage,
note the fact that there is no systemd support and do the Right Thing.

# For autoconf/automake projects, you shouldn't really need that *.pc
# file if, and that's becoming a bigger if as time progresses, the build
# uses an upstream provided source tarball. If builds consume a git
# repository that does not include generated files like configure, you
# will need that *.pc file just to create a configure script. For CMake
# based projects, I think you actually need that *.pc file even with a
# source tarball.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27