:: [DNG] Web md RAID monitoring [was: …
Página Inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: dng@lists.dyne.org
Tópicos Antigos: Re: [DNG] Fake RAID
Assunto: [DNG] Web md RAID monitoring [was: Re: Fake RAID]
Le 09/03/2022 à 20:58, tito via Dng a écrit :
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:18:13 +0100
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>>> A real RAID controller has hardware and software on board and often a
>>> battery backup. A "fake" RAID does have some hardware but no software
>>> or better some software but depends on a Windows driver for the RAID
>>> functions. Same trick as with Win modems and printers.
>>
>>     I have worked with Dell Poweredge servers around 15 y ago. These
>> had PERC hardware RAIDs able to completely do the whole job without any
>> help from the OS. The configured RAID devices were seen by the kernel as
>> individual disks. After a few years working like this I configured the
>> PERC so as to show every disk individually (therefore no RAID), and
>> managed software RAIDs using mdadm. md RAIDS, not dm RAIDS. dm stands
>> for device-mapper, which also means Logical Volume Manager. On the
>> contrary of what is said in the Debian document, I found LVM (dm RAIDs)
>> not much more usefull than md and overly complex. On the other hand,
>> mdadm also is not a piece of cake but I can find my way with it and I
>> have developped a graphics monitoring tool for it, actually a little web
>> server displaying the status of all the host's md RAIDs.
> Hi,
> I'm interested about this web server thing is it packaged?

    Not packaged. Debian packaging is something I was never able to
achieve and I prefer devoting my time to more fruitfull trasks, given my
skills. I can send you diskweb.tgz, the size of which is 16K. It is
trivial to build. It monitors both md RAIDs and the level of occupation
of the filesystems. RAID data is read from devices' representation in
/sys/devices/virtual/block, and the display is made attractive by the
use of colors and svg graphics. I wrote this more than a dozen years ago
and never touched it since that time. It's running on our home Desktop.

    Note that the location /sys/devices/virtual/block is not granted to
stay the same place in the future, but this location is easy to change
in the source in case kernel people change their mind.

    If more people are interested I might put it on Devuan git.

--     Didier