:: Re: [DNG] Problems with amdgpu in t…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Problems with amdgpu in the latest kernel upgrade? Ort just a glitch for me?
Hi,

Ludovic Bellière via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hello terryc,
>
> You seem to have a variety of kernel installed. Could you tell us which version
> works for you, and which version showed the errors?
>
> In doubt, I would revert back to stable — not backport (bpo). So you want the
> latest of the 5.10 series, which should come from security.
>
> Care must be taken when dealing with backport kernels, as they don't usually get
> shipped as a whole: the signing and verification process takes some time. Once
> you're on the kernel from the stable-security channel, you can then purge all
> the others you do not use. You could do that by marking all `linux-image` and
> `linux-headers` as automatically installed (1) followed by a call to `apt
> autoremove` (2). If your system is properly configured, it should remove all
> package that:
>
> a) are not required by another package and
> b) are automatically installed
>
>     (1) sudo aptitude markauto ~nlinux-headers ~nlinux-image
>     (2) sudo apt autoremove

In the default setup, that last command will leave configuration files.
That's what resulted in the

rc linux-image-5.10.0-6-amd64 5.10.28-1 amd64 Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)

entries in the original post.

sudo apt purge --auto-remove

will get rid of the configuration files as well.

# There are some inconsistencies in what is parsed correctly and what
# not between apt and apt-get as well as the autoremove and auto-remove
# subcommands and options. I normally use the above.

> Using the automated functions of apt is of great help when trying to keep a
> system somewhat clean of unwanted, or uneeded packages.

Indeed and tweaking a few configuration options goes a long way to
keeping your system lean and mean. Just in case anyone is interested,
here's what I have in my /etc/apt.conf

// Install packages based on their own merits, not because Debian
// or Devuan maintainers think you might want them.

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";

// Remove installed packages as soon as they are no longer needed
// by other packages. This complements the above settings. Note
// that this only kicks in when installing or removing packages.
// It does *not* apply when just upgrading installed packages.

APT::AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant "false";
APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant "false";

// Configuration files are tracked with `etckeeper` so there is a
// whole history of any such file in its repository. Whatever is
// *not* in the repository was either not worth tracking or a bit
// too sensitive (in which case some other backup mechanism would
// normally have been available or configured).

APT::Get::Purge "true";

Note, you'll need to install etckeeper to make that comment on purging
configuration true for your system. I do and tend to muck around with
the apt and network configurations quite a bit but for most part there
is a lot of configuration that I use as is.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27