:: Re: [DNG] IPv6 for dummies by a dum…
Author: tempforever
To: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] IPv6 for dummies by a dummy (was: Configuring ethernet port for IPv6)
o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Wondering about physical setup.
> I had thought of running my network (part of it at least) like this:
>
> WAN == router == firewall == managed switch == complicated network
>
> It has been suggested to me that I should combine the router and
> the firewall functions into the same machine. Which option (combining
> functions or separating functions) gives a more robust network?
>
> Where would a pihole function in this scenario?

My home network:

WAN  (modem)  ==  router/firewall == switch == uncomplicated network

The pihole resides as part of the uncomplicated network, plugged into
the switch.

My consumer router/firewall has unused ports; it could have gone in one
of them.

In any case, I'd recommend it being inside the firewall with the rest of
the network.