:: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port…
Author: Bob Proulx
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for IPv6 - broken hardware revealed by dmesg
Joel Roth wrote:
> Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > Is there anything different in the dmesg(1) output for eth1 than
> > for your other interfaces?
>
> bingo:
>
> [467072.902423] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Hardware Error
> This is a used Thinkpad pad, recently purchased.
> Fortunately usb-ethernet adapters are easily available.

This is very odd. Thinkpads have been very robust and reliable and
used so much that they have been somewhat of a reference platform for
many years. The e1000 driver family is very commonly used and is in
the kernel main.

I suggest booting a live boot image on your Thinkpad and seeing if the
wired interface works using one of those. That would eliminate
something corrupted in your current installation. It's easy to do.
It is a good quick second opinion on the network hardware.

Also, how did you install this system? Did you use a "netinstall"
image originally? Using the wired ethernet or WiFi? Because if you
installed using wired ethernet (the most typical way I install) then
at install time the netinstall image was working okay with your wired
ethernet.

Booting a netinstall image in "Rescue Mode" (under the advanced
options) would also be a safe way to test if the hardware is working
under a live boot system. And if this is a recent install using a
netinstall image then it's one you already have available.

Bob