:: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for IPv6
Joel Roth via Dng said on Thu, 27 Jan 2022 11:37:52 -1000

>Hi veteran admins,
>
>It seems that my new router uses IPv6. Perhaps that means
>the ISP does so as well.
>
>My problem is connecting via dhcp over ethernet. On IRC
>I was advised to try
>
>ping ff02::1%eth1
>
>which fails to get a response, indicating IPv6 is not enabled in my
>client.
>
>I tried setting "iface eth1 inet6 dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces,
>then "ifup eth1". This fails with
>
>no link-local IPv6 address for eth1
>
>References suggest that "ifconfig eth1 up" or "ip link set dev eth1 up"
>will trigger the kernel to assign an IPv6 address. Since
>this is not happening, I'm asking the wisdom of the list VUAs
>how to enable IPv6 for this port.
>
>Thanks in advance,

Hi Joel,

Good to see you again!

On my next router, (probably OpenBSD/pf), I'm going to block all IPV6.
I enjoy that the badguys have to jump through one more hoop (NAT) to
hit me where it hurts.

I'm not an authority on firewalls and routers, but I'm going to try
hard to pass only a very few IP addresses on my LAN, and put the Wifi
on a third network card.

In my opinion, IOT (the Internet Of Things) is for the most part an
abomination. I don't want my thermostat on the same subnet as my LAN.

SteveT

Steve Litt