:: Re: [DNG] The Daedalus desktop need…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: wirelessduck
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] The Daedalus desktop needs some love

> On 20 Jan 2022, at 23:33, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Bob Proulx via Dng wrote:
>> golinux@??? wrote:
>>>
>>> In all the years I have been doing this, that question has never entered my
>>> mind and I have no idea how to even begin answering it. I do "eye" art not
>>> "machine" art. I can perceive even one increment change in a hex.
>>>
>>> Problem is . . . no one can know exactly what color another person is
>>> seeing. Add to that the vagaries of the monitor and . . .
>>>
>>> I don't know if a screenshot would capture the hex or what's showing on your
>>> monitor but maybe you could give it a try for the chimaera desktop and let
>>> us have a look.
>>
>> I just want to comment that I have two identical model displays side
>> by side in a dual monitor configuration on my desktop. Both are
>> identical as far as any model vendor and number are concerned. Yet
>> side by side it is pretty obvious to me that they have a difference in
>> color tone between them. They are definitely not the same even though
>> by specification they will be the same.
>>
>> The first order difference in my two monitors I think is that the
>> backlight is not identical between them. One shows a slightly warmer
>> color hue to the backlight from the other. I think that swamps other
>> effects causing differences in my "matched pair".
>>
>> None of this really has any effect on how nice a color theme looks on
>> the displays though. That's an art project more than a science project.
>>
>> Bob
>
> It's nice if the desktop colours look good on a perfectly calibrated monitor.
> But what's more important for it to look good on the variety of monitors
> regular users use.
> So we should test the imagery on the ordinary, everyday laptops and
> monitors we have at home and work.
> And it's important the the colours work even if one is colourblind.
> I'd suggest viewing it converted to greyscale as a first try at testing
> this, bt a friend of mine who is colourblind tells me it's far more
> complicated than this.
>
> -- hendrik

Can I suggest Color Oracle or similar as a tool to use here?

https://colororacle.org/

It allows you to apply a full screen filter to simulate what a colour blind person would be seeing if they were viewing your monitor. It is a Java app and I’ve only tested it on Windows some years ago but it does say Linux compatible, with a link to source code on GitHub.

--
Tom