:: Re: [DNG] Website "motto"?
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Website "motto"?

On 20/1/22 7:56 am, Steve Litt wrote:
> Syeed Ali said on Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:56:59 -0800
>
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:59:35 -0600
>> golinux@??? wrote:
>>
>>> Or this might be even better https://transfer.sh/CeUT0r/if-rev3.png
>>
>> I submit:
>>
>> "Freedom includes init choice."
>
> Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I like it too.

About the logo, /if/ -- could mean too many things;
- my first thought was fedora
- others facebook
- interface
- then there's that insurance company now

It's all over the place, the letters alone don't mean enough and too
closely represent other things; the extra "hidden" text may not make a
difference, even though the background is meant to be transparent.

And for a "symbol" for freedom, I had a quick look and didn't find
anything I liked that is out there and isn't political, religious or US
patriotic; as if the US owns freedom. Or even otherwise not divisive.

But I do think some kind of universal symbol would work, just don't know
what it should be. The closest I get to is the combination of the peace
(all roads lead to one, nuclear disarmanent) symbol with a dove flying free.

I see Devuan as a MORE universal Debian, what Debian was "meant" to be
and was for many years. Whether that needs to be specifically init
freedom or not is another matter. To me, it is just better because it
is more universal. Embedded and other low resource hardware or
appliances are not going to use Debian with systemd, at the very least
systemd would likely be stripped. But if the device has an abundance of
resources (strong CPU, storage, etc.), then minimalization and
reasonable optimization will fall by the wayside as it does with the
bloatiness and underlying performance problems of Winblows being "fixed"
by newer hardware ... but I digress.

Sure others could come up with better symbols / logos and words than me.

A.