:: Re: [DNG] Early Days at Bell Labs -…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Early Days at Bell Labs - Youtube, the systemd of video
On Sunday 16 January 2022 at 15:42:13, Maurice McCarthy via Dng wrote:

> Can you block ads on the firewall? On OpenBSD's pf firewall config
> file this pretty much wipes out all ads on youtube.
>
> table <gooDNS4> {8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4}
> table <gooDNS6> {2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844}
> pass in quick to <gooDNS4> rdr-to 127.0.0.1
> pass in quick to <gooDNS6> rdr-to ::1
>
> Blocking Google's own DNS servers.

This needs to go where? On the client machine I want to see YouTube on, or on
my local caching recursive DNS server?

Are you blocking DNS lookups to Google, or are you saying that the ad content
itself comes from the same IP addresses (which I know are not "proper servers"
- it's a geo-diverse network of many many machines, but they could be content
servers as well as DNS)?

Assuming I do not use Google DNS servers in my client machine's resolv.conf (I
have a local recursive caching DNS server on my network, with a hints file
pointing at the root name servers), I don't believe that my client computer
would ever contact Google's DNS to resolve a machine's name, so I'm puzzled as
to what traffic actually needs to be blocked.

Thanks for any further info you can provide; it looks like a neat solution :)

Antony.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.