:: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Le 09/01/2022 à 13:23, Benjamin Riefenstahl a écrit :
> Hi Didier,

> benny wrote:
>>> What happens, if you add another user after installation? AFAIU default
>>> launchers should be in a global place.
> Didier Kryn writes:
>>     We want to install files only under /usr/local, and, for
>> Freedesktop.org, there's no other global place than
>> /usr/share/applications. Full point (AFAIK). I agree with you it's not
>> very clever.
> Oh, you mean, the installer would tell the users to install the desktop
> files themself, via xdg-install-icon? I don't think that works very
> well.

    Just cp '/usr/local/share/applications/foobar.desktop
~/.local/applications/'
    The installer script certainly would not. But the admin might
suggest them to.

> Anyway,
> <https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html>
> says that /usr/local/share/applications should work fine, so there
> should be no problem.

   Good finding. Actually in my session XDG_DATA_DIRS is set as you
write. It seems it is set in /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager.

    Still one point has not been discussed yet: the config file is
currently in /etc .

    The Linux Foundation suggests it should be put in /usr/local/etc
(https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html

    So it seems everything is clear now. Thanks to all. I will make the
software install in /usr/local. DO you fiond this satisfactory Hendrik?

--     Didier