:: [DNG] Track process start / stop?
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Track process start / stop?
Hi.

I'm wondering whether there is any way of getting a list or log file of
processes which get started and terminated, independently of whether those
processes themselves actually do any logging.

Suppose you're running "top".

You see processes appear and disappear from the list as they start and end.

Is there anything I can do to get a list of these processes logged somewhere
(some of them are extremely transient, so you can be lucky to spot them in a
"top" list at all)?

Maybe it already exists somewhere, and I just need to either look in the
rightplace under /var/log, or adjust the logging level of something?

My initial interest in having this is to see that "well, this thing ran at
that time, so it could be the cause of that thing which went wrong", or "no, I
can't see this thing having run any time between then and now, so it's not
surprising we don't see the results we expected".

I'm wondering whether there's a logging option buried in whichever part of the
system assigns and recovers process IDs as things get started and stopped,
perhaps?

Antony.

--
This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this space has
nothing but text explaining that this space would otherwise have been left

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.