:: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Le 04/01/2022 à 23:38, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 05:09:58PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> There is no utility in splitting the OS in several partitions.
> Might it make sense to have /usr mounted readonly except when upgradng
> or installing paackages?

    What could you fear which makes you want to keep /usr readonly. If
your OS is broken, you can reinstall it in a few hours. And the most
likely thing which can break it is the package manager itself.

    Recently it happenned to me on Chimaera that some packages were
broken, because of incompatible versions between backports and stable. I
eventually solved the problem with the only help of Synaptic, and
finally eliminated backports from sources.list. If necessary, I would
just have re-installed Devuan without backports from the beginning.

--     Didier