:: Re: [DNG] Lead or follow? this de…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lead or follow? this decade’s dilemmafor GNU/Linux based ICT industry
Jaromil said on Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:14:28 +0100

>Dear DNG'ers
>
>this summer I wrote a small critical post about what I believe to be a
>dilemma for anyone using GNU/Linux at scale for mission critical
>operations.
>
>I'm curious about your opinions here and if it can spawn an interesting
>thread, there is so little discussion about these topics online and I
>guess this is a good place for it given the experience gathered in this
>community.

> Online version with links and gifs:
> https://medium.com/think-do-tank/lead-or-follow-the-dilemma-of-ict-industry-for-the-coming-decade-4f83ee1851bc

What I especially like about this article is it recognizes Redhat
malfeasance, and generalizes it as something that's anti-community and
also anti-user, whether the user knows it or not. I'm soooooo tired of
people giving lip service to technocracy, when comparing runit and s6
with their one (each) unpaid developer, vs systemd requiring a crew of
6 highly paid full time developers to keep from imploding.

The one improvement I can suggest with the article is to define all
acronyms once within the text. Because I'm from North America, I call
it "IT", and it took 10 minutes of looking up to find out that "ICT" is
a European acronym for basically the same thing. It took about 25
minutes to find out what an "SME" is.

SteveT

Steve Litt