:: Re: [maemo-leste] Nokia N900 not hi…
Author: Tony Lindgren
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: linux-omap, phone-devel, maemo-leste, Pavel Machek, Sebastian Reichel, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Dev Null, Andreas Kemnade, H. Nikolaus Schaller, Nitin Gupta
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Nokia N900 not hitting OFF mode since 5.9 is caused by proactive memory compaction
Hi,

* Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@???> [211210 00:34]:
> Hi,
>
> I've spent the day bisecting what exact commit prevented the Nokia N900
> from entering the OFF sleep state (between v5.8 and v5.9), and it this
> commit:
>
> > # first bad commit: [facdaa917c4d5a376d09d25865f5a863f906234a] mm: proactive compaction
>
> The git tree prior to that commit can idle at about ~27mW in OFF mode,
> and it will often remain in that mode for prolonged amounts of time
> (easily 30 seconds, depending on running userspace). Which the above
> commit applied, the Nokia N900 almost never hits OFF mode any more. This
> would suggest at least to disable CONFIG_COMPACTION, perhaps in
> omap2plus_defconfig? I suspect this might cause idle problems beyond the
> Nokia N900, too.

Nice find, adding Nitin to Cc as well. Nitin, can we somehow avoid the
timers for CONFIG_COMPACTION on an idle system to prevent waking up the
system unnecessarily?

Not sure if sysctl -w vm.compaction_proactiveness=0 is enough to disable
compaction for idle, maybe also the HPAGE_FRAG_CHECK_INTERVAL_MSEC = 500
at ms also causes extra wake-ups?

Regards,

Tony