:: Re: [DNG] lpr print pdf file landsc…
Author: Simon
To: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] lpr print pdf file landscape orientation
Marjorie Roome via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

>> How does one print a PDF with landscape orientattion?
>>
> Isn't the page orientation used encoded in the pdf?
>
> To change it, other than by shrinking the page down so it fits on the
> paper in landscape orientation I think you would need to use a pdf
> editor to reflow the content.
>
> If you have a document or image that you are converting to a pdf then
> if you format the document or image landscape then the exported pdf
> will also be landscape.

Yes, the PDF is a complete description of a number of pages.

It is possible to change some things by pre-pending some Postscript to change the meaning of some verbs, though it’s so long (couple of decades) since I last fiddled at this level that I can’t remember the details. So you could turn pages around (rotate the content by 90˚), but that won’t reflow any text/re-arrange the contents.

One trick I do recall doing was where we printed inbound faxes on our SCO OpenServer system at a previous job. I changed the meaning of the “showpage” operator so that instead of just printing the currently imaged page, it would add a header to the page with key details (date, time, number, etc) and then print the imaged page.
At the same place I also did a custom text-ps script, adding in options to use some of the printer specific features we had on our printers - like doing A3 landscape on a laser instead of printing to the old green lined fanfold.

Simon