:: Re: [DNG] What not to back up
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What not to back up
On 11/23/21 21:27, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'm setting up a new backup script that will do it all piecemeal so
> that if a part of it fails, it can be retried without having to start
> *everythng* over from scratch.

[snip]

It depends on what you've set up.

For the systems I have, I only back up the configuration files in /etc/
plus the output of
    dpkg --get-selections
The restoration plan is to do a fresh installation and restore with
    dpkg --set-selections

Then for the data, it is /var/ and /home/, with special treatment for
any live databases if needed. I don't use /srv/ or /opt/ for anything.

> But what about
>
> /run
> /srv
> /sys
> ?
>
> What are those even used for?

See "man 7 hier"

"""
  /run   This  directory  contains information which describes
    the system since it was booted.  Once this purpose
    was served  by  /var/run and programs may continue
    to use it.

  /srv   This directory contains site-specific data  that  is
    served by this system.

  /sys   This is a mount point for the sysfs filesystem, which
    provides information about the kernel like /proc, but
    better structured, following the formalism of kobject
    infrastructure.
"""

/Lars