:: Re: [DNG] Embedded devuan (was Re: …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Embedded devuan (was Re: Devuan with usr merge?)
Le 17/11/2021 à 13:03, o1bigtenor via Dng a écrit :

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???
> <mailto:slitt@troubleshooters.com>> wrote:
>
>     Didier Kryn said on Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:36:23 +0100

>     >    Yes, very active and with pretty constructive exchanges and
>     >collaboration with Glibc. I'm on the mailing list. See
>     >http://musl.libc.org <http://musl.libc.org> <http://musl.libc.org
>     <http://musl.libc.org>>

>     LOL, from what I hear, a musl compiled Linux will not work with
>     systemd.

> Apologies - - - - - but 'what' is "a musl compiled Linux"?

    The libc is an essential part of a distribution. It is not only a
pure library of facilities like string manipulation or mathematics but a
friendly interface to the OS. It provides an interface to all system
calls, plus the C standard IO, memory allocation, and other facilities.

The name Debian Gnu Linux tells that not only a big part of the
applications come from Gnu, but also the libc. All applications are
dynamically linked against glibc. A musl-compiled distro might be
called, say, Alpine Musl Linux, even if binutils and many other
applications (eg Emacs) are compiled from Gnu sources, but all are
linked against musl.

    This difference is systematic in the name of the compiler, eg
x86_64-musl-linux vs x86_64-gnu-linux.

    The incompatibility of musl and systemd is not due to an hostility
from musl author, but to a persistent attitude of systemd developpers of
bad programming. Musl is, by intention, hostile to bad programming:
everything specified as unknown behaviour (UB) by POSIX will end up
sooner or later by a crash. AFAIU systemd relies in some non-conformant
pecularities of glibc. The authors might easily correct that be won't,
which is their consistent attitude towards the rest of the world.

--     Didier