:: Re: [DNG] lpr command not working
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lpr command not working
On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 07:56:06PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Haines Brown said on Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:21:15 -0500
>

> >My printer lost its status as default, but I can't get to the CUPS
> >web page to restore it
>
> Let me ask you a few probably dumb questions...
>
> * Was cupsd running?
> * Did you go to http://127.0.0.1:631/ ?
> * When CUPS asked for user and password, did you type root and your
> machine's root password?
> * Did you go to Administration=>Set as default server for the printer
> you want to be default?

Yes cupsd is running:

  $ ps -auxw | grep cups
  haines   28191  0.0  0.0   6560  3416 pts/6    S+   05:21   0:00 nano cupsd
  haines   29295  0.0  0.0   6180   664 pts/15   S+   06:51   0:00 grep cups

On other hand,

# cupsd -h
-bash: cupsd: command not found

# cupsd
-bash: cupsd: command not found

I initially went to localhost:631. But I find that going to it displays
the CUPS web page, but I cannot open the Administration tab without
getting "Unable to Connect". When I try the URI I cannot even connect
to the Web intefac. This is probably a clue, but I don't know how to
intepret it.

I supplied root and root's pw when asked. This was several days ago
and until yesterday I used the Web inerface without a problem.

Can't retrace my steps at this point, but I belive I went to
Administration amd for my printer and selected it to be default.

It status shows it to be default, but yesterday it mysteriously
ceased to be default:

$ lpstat -d
no system default destination

So I do:

# lpadmin -d HP_LaserJet_1320_series
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor

I look at /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and off hand see nothing odd.
For example:

Port 631
Listen /run/cups/cups.sock
Share local printers on the local network.

I suppose an obious thing to would be to purge and reinstall CUPS,
but I'd rather fix the problem than run around it. On-line discussaions
often presume systemd, which is no help.

There is no file /etc/cups/client.conf

The file /etc/cups/cupds.conf does not have the line "hostnamelookups"

It has

  <Location />
    # Allow shared printing...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow @LOCAL
  </Location>

Should it be Order deny.allow ? should I change to Allow from all ?

When I run ~$ nc -zv <hostname> 631 I get Connection refused

# service cups start

# service cups status

$ lpstat -t
scheduler is not running