:: Re: [DNG] Er, Not that way ? .Re: …
Author: .
To: terryc, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Er, Not that way ? .Re: Announcing Devuan 4.0: Chimaera!
On 10/17/21 07:48, terryc wrote:
>> I'm sorry to report that I tried a dist-upgrade from devuan beowulf
>> with KDE on an older machine.  The result was a system with a
>> nonfunctional window manager and messed-up display resolution, and no
>> working Ethernet connection (and no wifi hardware).
> AFAIK, that isn't the way you are supposed to do it.
>
> Under beowulf; I did
>       sudo apt-get update
>       sudo apt-get upgrade
>       sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> reboot

Hmmm.  I edited /etc/apt/sources.lst to use chimaera debs first, under
beowulf, then did the above sequence.

> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to change beowulf to chimaera
> I actually copy and date the deb lines and edit version to chimaera and
> comment out the beowulf lines so there is a history record.
>
> Them with chimaera in the /etc/apt/sources.list
>       sudo apt-get update
>       sudo apt-get upgrade
>       sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> reboot and repeat;
>       sudo apt-get update
>       sudo apt-get upgrade
>       sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> rebbot.

Well, it can't hurt to try another update/upgrade cycle; I had a konsole
open during the last reboot and it was restored, so I can do
command-line things (and what else could I possibly need :-) If that
doesn't fix things up then it's nuke-and-repave time.

-bobmon