:: [DNG] npm and nodejs -- version ske…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] npm and nodejs -- version skew?
While setting up to run the game editor inky (
https://www.inklestudios.com/ink/ ) I ran into what seems to be a version
skew.

I used aptitude to install Devuan beowulf's versions of npm and nodejs.
When I got to one stage of the imky startup I got messages
I have appended below.

>From the looks of things, npm is complaining it cannot work with node

Node.js v10.24.0 and it wants me to "upgrade" to an *older* version!
(namely, 4, 6, 7, 8, or 9 instead of 10..)

Is this a known problem? Is this really a version skew between two of
beowulf's own packages?

Somewhat hard to believe. Is upgrading everything to chimaera likely to
help?

-- hendrik

The messages:

hendrik@midwinter:~/dv/fun/ink/inky$ ./INSTALL_AND_RUN.command
npm WARN npm npm does not support Node.js v10.24.0
npm WARN npm You should probably upgrade to a newer version of node as we
npm WARN npm can't make any promises that npm will work with this version.
npm WARN npm Supported releases of Node.js are the latest release of 4, 6,
7, 8, 9.
npm WARN npm You can find the latest version at https://nodejs.org/
npm WARN read-shrinkwrap This version of npm is compatible with
lockfileVersion@1, but package-lock.json was generated for
lockfileVersion@2. I'll try to do my best with it!
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] ws has the following vulnerability: 1 moderate.
Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=ws&version=7.4.5 - Run `npm i
npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] minimist has the following vulnerability: 1 low.
Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=minimist&version=0.0.10 - Run `npm
i npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] electron has the following vulnerability: 1
moderate. Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=electron&version=4.2.12 - Run `npm
i npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN tar write after end
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] trim-newlines has the following vulnerability: 1
high. Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=trim-newlines&version=1.0.0 - Run
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=minimist&version=0.0.8 - Run `npm i
npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] marked has the following vulnerability: 1
moderate. Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=marked&version=0.3.19 - Run `npm i
npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] lodash has the following vulnerability: 1 high.
Go here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=lodash&version=4.17.21 - Run `npm i
npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm WARN notice [SECURITY] diff has the following vulnerability: 1 high. Go
here for more details:
https://www.npmjs.com/advisories?search=diff&version=3.3.1 - Run `npm i
npm@latest -g` to upgrade your npm version, and then `npm audit` to get
more info.
npm ERR! cb() never called!

npm ERR! This is an error with npm itself. Please report this error at:
npm ERR!     <https://github.com/npm/npm/issues>

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/hendrik/.npm/_logs/2021-10-04T13_12_04_234Z-debug.log
hendrik@midwinter:~/dv/fun/ink/inky$