:: Re: [DNG] Review of documentation n…
Author: tempforever
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] connman, wicd, and dbus.
Subject: Re: [DNG] Review of documentation needed
(off-topic section)
I used the devuan_chimaera_4.0.beta2_2021-09-04_amd64_desktop-live.iso
to set up my system.  I use legacy startup (not EFI) but apparently the
refracta installer and grub included on the live iso want EFI only (or
incorrectly detected my system as using that).  Anyway, I was able to
chroot in after setup, and installed grub-legacy, and eventually got it
all figured out and a bootable system.

(now to the topic, documentation)
"Devuan without D-Bus"
Yes, this is still possible.  I followed the steps to install fluxbox
and wdm.  The step to "apt-get purge dbus" removed ~150 packages (I had
the default XFCE); then "apt-get autoremove --purge" removed ~450 more.
The system does boot up into the selected window manager.
I did not try the section dealing with manual mount points.  I'm not
aware of any reason why that would not still work.

Removing dbus also seems to have removed network-manager, and I have
lost wifi connection.  Was able to get on wired with ifconfig, route
(and editing /etc/resolv.conf) -- too lazy to use iwconfig.  But this
may need mentioning in the documentation.  Is there a simple alternative
to network-manager that doesn't depend on dbus?