:: Re: [DNG] Review of documentation n…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Review of documentation needed
aitor has a network manager in his Gnuinos distribution based on
simple-netaid that edbarx put together years ago but iiuc, it is still a
wip.

KatolaZ wrote the setnet script (no GUI) but it hasn't been touched for
years: https://git.devuan.org/devuan/setnet

wicd has been the default in Xfce It is brain-dead simple and reliable.
Many users are unhappy with the remaining options. I hope that it can be
resurrected.

golinux

On 2021-09-18 16:58, Steve Litt wrote:
> I thought some members of the Devuan community made something superior
> to wicd *and* that silly dbus enthusiast network-manager.
>
> SteveT
>

> golinux@??? said on Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:27:01 -0500
>
>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> wicd has indeed been removed from Chimaera. Sadly, there are reports
>> of frustration that the available options are not as intuitive as
>> wicd. However, there is hope! Someone is looking at transitioning wicd
>> to python3 so keep your fingers crossed.
>>
>> To fill a gap, rrq has provided a "classic" networking "how-to" that
>> will be included in the www documentation. It is already available on
>> the netinstall isos:
>> https://git.devuan.org/devuan/installer-iso/src/branch/wip/docs/docs/docs/network-configuration.html
>>
>> golinux
>>
>> On 2021-09-18 10:12, Ludovic Bellière via Dng wrote:
>>> Hello golinux.
>>>
>>> I found a reference to a dead software used in the *Network
>>> Configuration*
>>> section. wicd is recommended as network manager, however it is no
>>> longer
>>> distributed by debian. It has been removed because it is written in
>>> python2, and
>>> there has been no release since 2014.
>>>
>>> As I do not use any manager on my system, I remain unaware of a
>>> possible
>>> replacement. I did, however, look quickly and noticed connman which