:: Re: [maemo-leste] /etc/resolv.conf …
Author: Sicelo
To: maemo-leste
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] /etc/resolv.conf not being updated?
On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 12:12:06AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I had problems connecting to some hotspots, and now I realized what is
> going on: /etc/resolv.conf is not updated automatically.
>
> On my system /etc/resolv.conf is regular file containing "nameserver
> 8.8.8.8" I put there while debugging wifi. Should it be symlink to
> somewhere / do I need to do anything to let system manage it?

Hi

In Maemo Leste (and Fremantle), /etc/resolv.conf should normally not be edited.
It should contain `nameserver 127.0.0.1`. The system uses dnsmasq as a
caching resolver. When you connect to a network, resolvers received via
DHCP are saved in `/var/run/resolv.conf.${IFACE}`, which the dnsmasq
configuration is set to use.

With this configuration, if one wants to play with the DNS settings, it
is better to edit the files in /var/run. Otherwise, nothing prevents
manually editing and using /etc/resolv.conf, of course.

Hope this info helps.