:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux…
Author: hal
To: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux (was Re: Information request re: wayland)

On 9/6/21 06:47, o1bigtenor wrote:
<snip>

> Reading the file the first couple things that caught my attention also described
> the why and wherefore for the differences.
>
> 1. you are running the proprietary drivers not nouveau
> 2. you are running the latest production brach driver series
>     (which I could not do because I'm still running a 570 card)
> 3. you are running only a single gpu
>     (Nvidia no longer supports running a multi-gpu setup - - - hasn't for likely over 2 years)

I guess I flip-flop back-and-forth enough between nouveau and prop that I can't keep them straight anymore. If I apply a kernel upgrade, and X doesn't start after a reboot, I head over to /root/ and run the nvidia-installer. There are so few updates to the Devuan kernel I don't need to do it very often so I loose track.

I've tried to make nouveau work and there's always been some weird wtf issue with Steam, X or some openGL issue with CAD software.

I with things were different. Having rock solid, functional video support on Linux would lead to more widespread adoption. I've always wondered if deep pockets have paid out to keep that from happening but then I looked at the X codebase a few times and it realized that may not be all of it. But then there's the Halloween Docs, SUN, SCO, Royal Bank of Canada and Microsoft and I realized that money sometimes does change hands to achieve a devious end.

> Thank you for your time.

You're welcome!