:: Re: [DNG] /run/user/<id>#
Author: g4sra
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] /run/user/<id>#
On Tuesday, August 31st, 2021 at 2:52 PM, Luciano Mannucci <luciano@???> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:31:30 +1000
> wirelessduck--- via Dng dng@??? wrote:
> > > I've completely removed Xorg, rebooted the machine, and still it does
> > > the same: when I log in as user XXX via ssh I see a /run/usr/XXX on
> > > that machine. I'm still investigating...
> >

> > Perhaps elogind or consolekit is creating this if you have either installed? They will manage the login sessions.
> Well, I just removed consolekit (I haven't found the package elogind
> in apt list --installed). I will reboot tonight to see whether it
> changes something.
>

> Thanks,
> Luciano.

Hi Luciano,

Iterative change and reboot has it's place, but there are often better ways.

When you start removing packages without fully understanding their purpose and then rebooting you run the risk of severe breakage.
If this is your own personal machine that is fine, of course you get to keep all the pieces.
However when it is someone else's machine which is now broken into pieces...that is far less acceptable.

Don't give up, you are doing OK, but let me guide you a little in the right direction.

In relation to *nix, you may have heard the phrase "Do one thing and do it well", there is another, "Everything is a file".
This is less true than it used to be, but still worth remembering (no '/dev/lo' or '/dev/eth0').

A very useful utility for working with files (and the network) is 'lsof'.

sudo lsof +c0 +D /run/user/XXXX

Remember to 'man lsof' first to get an idea of what you will be looking at (or any other command someone on a mailing list or forum tells you to run).
Running this command with root permissions is important, you will get varying results otherwise.