:: Re: [DNG] Steam, Mumble, Valheim, A…
Author: g4sra
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
New-Topics: [DNG] Firefox, sudo and apulse (was Re: Steam, Mumble, Valheim, Alsa and shared audio)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Steam, Mumble, Valheim, Alsa and shared audio

On Saturday, August 28th, 2021 at 12:55 PM, hal <vmlinux@???> wrote:

> On 8/23/21 19:40, terryc wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 11:20:27 -0500
> > hal vmlinux@??? wrote
> <snip>
> > > Thanks, I finally got this working yesterday.
> > Care to share your set up?
> Sure, glad to. I made a pastebin for it here since it would become unreadable posted to the list: https://pastebin.com/XrXtAfPX
> My setup (cat /proc/asound/cards):
> 0) PCH - external speakers/microphone plugged into back of computer
> 1. Nvidia - I suppose HDMI audio route or something
> 2. Logitech USB wireless headset with microphone
> - I use "xhost +" to allow various users below to run gui on my login. I do not have the X TCP socket listening so remote access to X is blocked. Could be another way to do this I dunno.
> - my /dev/snd/* devices are chmod 660 for the "audio" group and all users are members

>     The problems I have is multiple applications need to access the audio device concurrently but it does not work (until now):
> I have no sound in Firefox so sometimes I need to run Palemoon or Chrome for any kind of multimedia content which needs sound (ffs Firefox.. an FOSS embarrassment). Sort of unrelated but it part of the root cause of all this

Install 'apulse' which are a sort of pulseaudio compatability libraries.

> 2)
> When I run a web browser, I use a launcher script with sudo to run the browser as "firefox" user. This user cannot play audio if another application has alsa "locked"
>

> 3)
> Sometime I want to play MP3s on my disk. I run VLC with my login account. I cannot hear any music if the firefox user has a web browser open.
>

> 4)
> When I launch Steam, a launcher script runs sudo to run Steam as "steamuser". If another application has audio device open, there is no sound in Steam games.

This may (and I do mean 'may') be your Desktop not releasing the audio devices, google that for your specific desktop to find out how to make it release them when you launch steam.