:: Re: [DNG] ..tenacity replaces Audac…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..tenacity replaces Audacity like Devuan replaces Debian? Tenacity ditches spyware.
On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 03:34:46 -0700, spiralofhope@??? wrote
in message <20210709033446.00007ccb@???>:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 07:09:18 +0200
> Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:
>
> > ..tenacity replaces Audacity like Devuan replaces Debian? Tenacity
> > ditches spyware: FLOSS Audacity Fork without any Telemetry or
> > Reporting: https://github.com/tenacityteam/tenacity
>
> I'm pleased with Audacity's implementation.

..fair enough, and thanks for pushing me to check out the fork talk,
it appears the majority of Audacity developers (or "Contributors" as
Github prefers to call them) still disagrees with you:
https://github.com/tenacityteam/tenacity/graphs/contributors 184
https://github.com/SartoxOnlyGNU/audacium/graphs/contributors 143
https://github.com/AudioCity-Studio/AudioCity/graphs/contributors 139

..how many of the 136 stayed behind with the Muse Group?:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/graphs/contributors

> Of note:
>
> Audacity was acquired by Muse Group.
>
> "I’m Now in Charge of Designing Audacity. Seriously."
> Tantacrul:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWNvwLiXIQ
>
> Audacity is now restricted from minors, violating GPL:
> https://technewsinc.com/after-its-acquisition-audacity-takes-care-of-its-users-data/

..no shit! So, does the Muse Group still believe they can
distribute Audacity under the GPLv2? ;o)

..on Thu, 8 Jul 2021 00:23:51 +0000 (UTC), Tim wrote in message
<1195933771.683581.1625703831625@???>:

> FYI, arstechnica says Audacity is not spyware:
> No, open source Audacity audio editor is not “spyware”
>
> The community's telemetry concerns were received and addressed two
> months ago.

..thanks to Tim for pushing me to investigate that story, Jim did
indeed say that, initially. And wise people update as they learn
more...
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/no-open-source-audacity-audio-editor-is-not-spyware/?comments=1

..and there's even more:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/audacitys-new-owner-is-in-another-fight-with-the-open-source-community/?comments=1

..it's like Github's next owner making you pay to see source code.
Sheet music is effectively the source code of music, and that
analogy has been used to explain source code as a concept to the
general public, to legislators and to jurors and judges in courts.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: