:: Re: [devuan-dev] My first commit
Author: Xenguy.fl9z
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] My first commit
From: "ralph ronnquist" ; Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 1:17:02 AM:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:50:40 -0400 (EDT) Xenguy.fl9z@??? wrote:
> > From: "Hendrik Boom" ; Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 2:32:22 PM:

[...]
> > > I've noticed that the markdown processor I use doesn't seem to be
> > > the same as the one gitea uses.
> > >
> > > In particular, it doesn't seem to know what to do with ~~~ at the
> > > start of a line.
> > >
> > > -- hendrik
> >
> > I just tried 2 different markdown2html conversion utilities:
> > markdown and pandoc. pandoc wins (markdown misses a number of
> > things). I'll see if I can figure out how to get pandoc to use,
> > e.g. <br> instead of <br />
>
> There is little to no documentation about the markdown used by the
> gitea version Devuan has installed. It doesn't seem possible to
> configure this gitea to use a markdown renderer by choice, and there
> also doesn't seem to be a compatible stand-alone rendering utility for
> authoring use in your own workspace.
>
> Another issue will always be that the HTML presentation on a browser
> typically involves multiple files, which on the git repository side is
> a severe complication. The repository does not keep the project files
> "unpacked" as a directory tree, but only as git's binary objects. It
> therefore is rather cumbersome for the web service to offer the
> collective of files that the browser wants for its HTML+CSS+js
> rendering.
>
> In short I guess one should not think of the gitea repository browsing
> support (aka gitea) to be a publishing area, but there should rather
> be a publishing step that maps the content into HTML at a publishing
> site.
>
> Ralph.

Yeah, I personally have no need to render the Markdown (MD) while
working with the 'documentation' repo. My only concern is with
converting MD to HTML for final file versions that are being mounted on
the web site. This post-processing still needs to be worked out, but I
imagine that it should be easy enough to do when that time comes. I
have not yet seen any indication of what method Chillfan was using for
this. If anyone happens to know, I'm all ears...

TTYL,
X.