:: Re: [DNG] Gnome and KDE: Was: a how…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gnome and KDE: Was: a how to question (project(s) related)
Le 18/08/2021 à 12:22, al3xu5 a écrit :
> Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:46:01 -0400 - Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
>
>> Antony Stone said on Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:38:05 +0200
>>

>>> "I think both KDE and Gnome suck - I'm quite unbiased in that, because
>>> I use a Mac."
>>> - Jason Isitt
>> I think both KDE and Gnome suck - I'm quite unbiased in that, because I
>> use OpenBox on Linux.
>
> I think both KDE and Gnome, and also all the Mac stuff, suck -- I'm
> quite unbiased in that, because I use OpenBox (+LXDE) on Linux.

    I've used Gnome and KDE many years ago, before they started to suck.
I had recently the opportunity to use Mac and Windows and they both
suck. Here is an example:

    I have a USB memory key on which are several directories with
photos, personal videos (from my Gopro Hero-2) plus some movies. Amongst
the directories, there is one named DCIM because I have used it in the
camera. Fatal error!

    When I plug the USB key on my laptop, I can open it with hopman and
look at any of the contents with thunar or xfce4-ternimal.

    When I plug it on a TV receiver, I can navigate the directory
structure, by first choosing if I want to see photos or videos.

    When I plug it on a Mac, it looks for a (photo or video) application
to open it, doesn't find one and never tries to just show it in a file
manager.

    When I plugged it into the Windows machine of a friend 1 month ago,
we tried half an hour to open it in the file manager (or however they
call that on Windows), without success. We gave up. After that I
discovered that Windows had created a lot of junk files on the USB key.

    I consider Mac sucks as much as Windows; I dislike Mac's desktop,
maybe by lack of habit, and I hate the way they prevent the user to make
simple things. For example it is impossible to open an SVG file by
clicking on it. You must first launch the web browser! Mac was once (in
1981) the inventor of the idea of associating a file type to an
application. Very well, but with any Linux file manager you can open a
file not only with a default application but with any one of your
choice. And there is a default application out of the box for SVG files.

    When I see the life of a friend of me with her Macs, I just see her
as a prisonner. She keeps an old desktop Mac, because she has on it an
old version of Photoshop which is enough for her. She does nothing else
with this machine. She has a newer one with which she does other things.
She never uses them to browse the web or send mails but relies for that
on her Android smartphone which continuously harasses her with
commercial "allerts". I do all that (except the "allerts") with my
single laptop running Devuan and Xfce4.

    I dunno when a Mac becomes old (meaning not maintained by Apple). 3,
4 years? After that any hardware or software becomes incompatible. It
may be fine to have a Mac when it is renewed by your employer every 3
years. Nice because it is beautiful and shining, and, most of all,
expensive. But, even when it is new, it *sucks*.

--     Didier