:: Re: [devuan-dev] bug#602: /bin/run-…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: devuan developers internal list
New-Topics: [devuan-dev] merged-/usr: Re: bug#602: /bin/run-parts hardcoded in many scripts but moved to /usr/bin
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] bug#602: /bin/run-parts hardcoded in many scripts but moved to /usr/bin
Hi,

fsmithred writes:

> On 8/18/21 2:40 AM, Mark Hindley wrote:
>> Control: -1 tags debian moreinfo
>>
>> Klaus,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 07:47:06AM +0200, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
>>> Package: debianutils
>>> Version: 5.0.1-1
>>> Severity: critical
>>>
>>> /bin/run-parts is hardcoded in many scripts. Version 5.0.1-1 moved it to
>>> /usr/bin which breaks most of the system including network, wdm and many
>>> more.
>>
>> Thanks for this. Debianutils is not a forked package and Devuan uses Debian's
> <snip>
>> directly. Do you have specific examples?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Breaks ifup and graphical login. Someone in irc this morning reported that
> upgrade left him without network.
>
> Here are the debian bug reports:

This smells a lot like fall-out from merged-usr if you ask me.

https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/MergedUsr

I definitely remember the chimaera installer asking whether you want it
or not. Opting out of merged-usr will not play nice with Debian's
bookworm as that will only support merged-usr, see

If Devuan wants to continue giving the user the option, I've been opting
out BTW, it looks like there will be work to be done.

Hope this helps,