:: [devuan-dev] bug#603: /bin/tempfile…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Klaus Ethgen, 603
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#603: /bin/tempfile removed that is needed by many scripts
Control: reassign -1 x11-common
Control: tags -1 debian
Control: forwarded -1 https://bugs.debian.org/992385

Klaus,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 07:49:32AM +0200, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Package: debianutils
> Version: 5.0.1-1
> Severity: critical
>
> Many scripts uses tempfile to get a temporary file. Version 5.0.1-1
> removed it so many parts of the system fail including init scripts,
> xsessions and many more.

Thanks for this. Debianutils is not a forked package and Devuan uses Debian's
packages directly without recompilation. Therefore, in principle, this should be
reported to Debian's BTS to be fixed there.

Debian has just released Bullseye and therefore there are going to be many
uploads to unstable which may be *much* more unstable than of recent.

I suspect the Debian maintainer's answer may be that this merely uncovers a bug
in the packages which use tempfile (which has been deprecated for a while) and you should bug them
directly. Indeed the x11-common has already been reported[1]. So reassigning
this particular case.

Please report other cases to the relevant BTS.

Thanks

Mark

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/992385