:: Re: [DNG] a how to question (projec…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Andrzej Peszynski
A: tito, dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] a how to question (project(s) related)

On 15.08.2021 17:35, tito via Dng wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 09:43:46 -0500
> o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
>> going to break (have had the joy of breaking some myself and causing myself
>> all kinds of joy in the process).
> Hi,
> I was going to propose file systems with hard and soft links
> (which BTW break only if you yourself break them)

<snip>

Friends, allow me please my 2Ct:
I strongly advice against symlinks for this task, because the symlinks
may reduce performance significantly, especially on remote FS, like CIFS.
Using symlinks for data structuring may slow the FS down, and impact
integrity, while have no hard protected references like foreign keys, or
natively built-in search indexes.
To me this sounds like a task for RDMS, rather than the FS.

What called directory in FS, there is called hierarchy. See this link
from the web-search:
http://mikehillyer.com/articles/managing-hierarchical-data-in-mysql/

Cheers
Andrzej