:: [DNG] Reinstalling unbootable lapto…
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Reinstalling unbootable laptop...
Hi all

About one or two years ago I had installed Devuan on my brother's laptop.

It is a Lenovo B50-10 (model 80QR), with a 64bit Intel N3540 CPU, 4GB
DDR1600 RAM and a mechanical 500GB HDD (see:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-b-series-laptops/b50-10/80qr/documentation/doc_userguide)

Two weeks ago I tryed some BIOS changes and did an apt-get update/upgrade.
Do not remember neither which BIOS changes I tried, nor the order I did
changeas and apt-get...

This resulted in a unbootable system (a loop, booting and rebootin,
without starting the system).

Ok... I know I was too hurried and not very careful...

I tried to fix the situation using some usb live tools, but without
success.

Anyway, as the previous installation had not been completely smooth, and
the system had been a little messed up by my brother, and I don't want to
waste more time trying to fix it, I'm about to reinstall it.

Very shortly, the plan is:

a) Set the BIOS in UEFI Mode (and not legacy: it seems that Lenovo
machines will only have this mode in the future)

b) Download and use the most updated Devuan 3.1 netinstall ISO from USB

c) Run the installation procedure -- About partitions: I think I will use
the partitioning tool (in manual and non-automatic mode) provided by the
ISO, possibly maintaining the same scheme of existing partitions

Kindly, I therefore ask you observations and advice about this plan.

My major doubts are about the HDD partitions (which is a 500GB
*mechanical* HDD), and how to be sure I will have a stable and clean boot
process.

Many thanks in advance

al3xu5

--
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
restrictions!

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B