:: Re: [DNG] another upgrade ascii to …
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] another upgrade ascii to beowulf borked
On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 06:13:15PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 10:05:39 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
> <20210803140539.4kor7lhfljf7to7b@???>:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 02:33:08PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> > > ..you probably use(d) some service built upon it and/or some front
> > > end of it. Welcome to the club. ;o)
> >
> > Still not worried. If there is such a service, I can sort it out
> > later; perhaps with the instructions I got long ago during the
> > upgrade for migrating data bases to the new version.
> >
> > What does worry me is that the upgrade froze while /var/lib/dpkg is
> > locked, and I cannot resume it.
>
> ..is it hung dead, or can you kill it?
> If you kill it, kill everything else that needs dpkg etc
> lock files, before you remove those lock files.
> Once they are gone, you should be able to resume your
> upgrade with your standard tricks.
>
> > I need to know how to resume the upgrade and get to the end.
>
> ..tried apt-get's --fix-broken (or -f ) option?
> Or dpkg --configure -a ?

These did most of the work.

Turns out I hadn't killd all the processes involved in relevant locks.
Discovered lslocks by a google search. Good I had another computer to
use for this.

After this I apt-get --fix-broken told me to dpkg --configure -a
After that, I could resume upgrading using apt-get.

this time it succeeded in stopping ans starting postgres.

-- hendrik