:: Re: [DNG] difficulty issuing comman…
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] difficulty issuing commands
On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 02:54:55AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Haines Brown said on Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:54:56 -0400
>
> >Sorry for the ambivalent subject line.
> >
> >I'm running Beowulf with Fluxbox window manager but without a desktop
> >environment. Without knowing what might have triggered it, I find it
> >laborious to start some applications from CLI. What happens is that
> >I get a hang (little spiral rotates) until I kill the process with
> >Crtl-g and try again.
>
> Do you mean Ctrl-c ? I've never heard of ctrl-g killing commands.
>
> [snip other weird intermittent symptoms]
>
> I'd start by collecting data:
>
> df -h >> data.txt

No problems here. No partition is more than 50%

> vmstat -S M >> data.txt

I don't know how to interpret all the info. But here it is:

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
 2  3      0    162   5852   6370    0    0    85    95    3    9 10  3 86  1  0

Nothing here strike my eye

> Also, run the htop command to see whether you're maxing out your CPUs.

Wow! Don't like this result, It looks like for the four cores, number
is running 100%. The others are low. Currently my machine is running
an automatic bacvkup. I do not have a swap partition. Mem is
3.7G/15.6G

In the display of processes, CPU runs 98-101% I'm runnng two sessions
of emacs on two virtyual desktops and it is the second that is hogging
CPU.

I see that in fiddling to start balance program, I left it in hung
state (spinning spiral). So now use C-g to stop the process. This
is enacs for stop the process. Ctl-c has no effect on the emacs
process. I now look to see what effect stopping the process has.

Sure enough. My CPU is back to normal. My backup running in
the background calls occasionally for as much as 30%.

So I'm back to the problem that I cannot run ~/.backup.bal without. It
may be that this is a problem specific to emacs.

I'll take the further steps if you think wise. It maey be that the
problem with .backup.bal is an oddity. I'm about to reconstruct the
bookmark. The problem with accessing bank not understanding my browser
until I try to acess a second time is probably irrelevant.

--
Haines Brown