:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-07-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-07-29
# Devuan meet 2021-07-29 @20:30 UTC

Present: Xenguy, golinux, Erich, LeePen, rrq, Hendrik, fsr, mason,
plasma41

## Old Business

## Old Actions

## New Business

### LeePen
* New package debian-podman-config-override in
src:debian-config-override to provide appropriate defaults for podman.
Fixes [#595](https://bugs.devuan.org/595) and
[#596](https://bugs.devuan.org/596).

### golinux
* Someone wants to provide a Portuguese translation for the forum
controls: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30915#p30915

### Xenguy

#### Installer-iso documentation
* Processed files that golinux worked on, and added them to the new
  `wip/docs` branch, intended to store changes for when Chimaera is
  released.
* More review and QA work is still needed.
* In the process I had the opportunity to learn some more useful git
  tricks, so in that spirit I will share an interesting git article I
  found today:
  * [Think Like (a) Git](http://think-like-a-git.net/)
  * While not aimed at complete beginners, I found it explained a number
    of things I did not know before, and offers a couple of interesting
    techniques towards the end of the article. There is a good
    'Resources' section also.
  * (plasma41) The manpage giteveryday(7) is also worth a look.
  * (plasma41) See also the documentation in the 'gitmagic' package

#### Todo
**Item brought forward: Still to do: (Xenguy and golinux)**
* [ ] Modify [Buster to Beowulf
  documentation](https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/en/buster-to-beowulf.html)
  to include:
  * A general disclaimer about these instructions?
    * Current migration guide appears to target desktop systems; on
      headless and remote systems, a reboot breaks the system (e.g. ssh
      doesn't start).
    * Jaromil also mentioned an "infamous bug": `error: symbol
      'grub_register_command_lockdown' not found`.
      * (mason) I found that some of my issues were resolved by
        directing GRUB to install to the mounted EFI directory
        explicitly:
        * grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi
  * Links to [tito's](https://git.devuan.org/farmatito/migration) and
    [rrq's](https://git.devuan.org/rrq/buster-to-devuan) migration
    scripts?

### plasma41
* I'm trying to collect more data to understand the root cause of an
issue with installing/upgrading eudev which I helped a user diagnose
on Tuesday on IRC. If folks would be so kind as to run `egrep
"^[a-fA-F0-9]+ T
.*sys_(inotify_init|signalfd|accept4|open_by_handle_at|timerfd_create|epoll_create)$"
/proc/kallsyms` and send me a link on IRC to a pastebin of the output
along with the kernel version on the system and if multiple binary
architectures are enabled (e.g. both i386 & amd64), I would be most
appreciative.

### mason
* repeat of older question - do we know what the load looks like
  (traffic, space) for mirrors? I'd like to think about hosting a US
  mirror but I would ideally want to know what the traffic costs would
  be in advance.
  * (plasma41) onefang and CenturionDan would be the ones to ask about
    this
  * https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/ has ISOs but not a package mirror
    - do we have a contact there?
    * (plasma41) From that page: "To request for another project to be
      mirrored or to report a problem, [send us an
      email](https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/docs/contact/)."
    * (Xenguy) Maybe worth asking onefang about this, in case there is a
      historical reason for this condition?

## New Actions
* Release-Notes collaboration:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/zrwXb4YnOlmO6fy2mPq4AsmR/
* start the beta iso series
* [x] References to 'freenode' are out of date, e.g.:
https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/devuan-cd/MIRRORS.txt
* [x]Run some searches to ensure: `s/freenode/libera.chat/`