:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
On Friday 30 July 2021 at 22:04:28, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 07:13:43PM +0100, Rowland Penny via Dng wrote:
>
> > This is sort of what I was getting at, English is a language that
> > changes over time, unfortunately not all English speaking nations keep
> > up, for instance, this is the correct English way to spell 'colour', it
> > certainly isn't 'color'. We also have a habit of having letters in
> > words that we do not pronounce, 'pterosaur' for instance :-)
>
> But it's *fun* pronouncing both the p and the t.

Who in their right mind would pronounce the 't' in that :) ?

German pronounces all the letters in a word, in as consistent a way as
possible.

French pronounces as few of the letters in a word as it can get away with.

English pronounces most, but not all, of the letters in a word, in as many
different ways as possible.

An example (there are others):

https://iuuk.mff.cuni.cz/~andrew/EAP/PronunciationPoem.pdf

Antony.

--
I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a
fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.