:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 13:57 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hendrik Boom said on Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:31:26 -0400
>

> > And it's kind of amazing how these different versions have
> > grammatical
> > differences, not kust spelling and vocabulary.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it's currently not accessible, so I can't give you
> > any
> > examples.
>
> London: He's in hospital.
>
> Chicago: He's in the hospital.
>
> I'm from America, so when I hear a noun used without an article, it's
> like fingernails on a blackboard (or for those too young to know what
> blackboard is, nasty screeching out of a malfunctioning sound card).

This is sort of what I was getting at, English is a language that
changes over time, unfortunately not all English speaking nations keep
up, for instance, this is the correct English way to spell 'colour', it
certainly isn't 'color'. We also have a habit of having letters in
words that we do not pronounce, 'pterosaur' for instance :-)

Rowland