:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 12:43:00 +0000
g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 29th, 2021 at 6:58 AM, tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:26:07 +0000
> > g4sra via Dng dng@??? wrote:
> > > <--snip-->
> > > This is why Devuan's installer will ask\prompt you to insert additional installation media such as a USB stick.
> >

> > Hi
> >

> > The user most of the time doesn't even know which driver or firmware blob he needs so this is not a solution
> > (unless you know how to scan dmesg...to spot the trouble).
> >

> > Better would be to tell them:
> > 1. minimal install, netinstall isos/usb images are for advanced users as they could miss firmware/drivers and you are on your own.
> > 2. full install CD/DVD/usb images contain all available firmware/drivers and give best results (plus initial opt out of non-free stuff defaulting to: I want it)
>
> Note the line following in my original text
> > > There are just too many Gigabytes of Drivers required to satisfy every corner case,
> You would need to put Drivers and Firmware for every network device in existence on the installation media.

Hi,
let's add this up for example for amd64

kernel                     48 MB
firmware-linux-free 19.2 KB

There no more interesting packages in my Synaptic kernel and modules section if we
assume that a install iso ships just one kernel.
In the kernel and modules (contrib) section there a few packages not more then 20MB.
in the kernel and modules (non-free) section about 50 more packages about 206 MB.
Some 300 MB in total, where are all the GBs?
Even if we add DKMS and compilers which I skipped how much GBs will them be?.
What am I missing?

Ciao,
Tito