:: Re: [DNG] Missing syslog
Author: tempforever
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Missing syslog
Indeed, postfix uses the system logging daemon (which is why mail.log
was not being updated with no rsyslog).  You can customize it in
/etc/rsyslog.conf (or /etc/rsyslog.d/postfix.conf).
I've got a bit of a custom setup.  The default configuration (if I
recall correctly) sends ALL mail.* log messages to both syslog and
mail.log, which seemed unnecessary (to me).  Also mail.log contained ALL
mail log messages, including the ones that were sent to mail.warn and
mail.err.  To me, the less duplication, the better.  If you do make
changes, be sure to restart the rsyslog service.

# First some standard log files.  Log by facility.
#
*.*;auth,authpriv.none;mail.none        -/var/log/syslog
# Logging for the mail system.  Split it up so that
# it is easy to write scripts to parse these files.
#
mail.err /var/log/mail.err
& stop
mail.warn -/var/log/mail.warn
& stop
mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
#mail.info            -/var/log/mail.info
#mail.warn            -/var/log/mail.warn
#mail.err            /var/log/mail.err