:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
On Wednesday 28 July 2021 at 13:04:10, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:06:46PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote in the
> signature:
> >
> > A few words to be cautious of between American and English:
> > - momentarily
> > - suspenders
> > - chips
> > - pants
> > - jelly
> > - pavement
> > - vest
> > - pint (and gallon)
> > - pissed
>
> I was aware of chips, pavement, and pissed.
> The confusion about pint and gallon is why I prefer litres.
>
> But I do not know how the others differ.

Hehe :)

Momentarily means "in a moment" in American, and "for a moment" in English.
This can be disconcerting when an aeroplane pilot tells you they will be
taking off momentarily.

Suspenders are female undergarments used for holding up stockings in English,
and male apparel used for holding up trousers in American ("braces" in
English).

Pants are worn on the outside in American and underneath the trousers in
English.

Jelly is a wobbly dessert in Engish ("Jell-o" in American), it's a fruit based
spread in American ("Jam" in English).

A vest is a thin garment worn underneath a shirt in English; it's worn between
the shirt and the jacket in American ("waistcoat" in English).

I hope that helps, somewhere or other :)

Antony.

--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
those who understand binary notation,

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.