:: Re: [DNG] Nasty Linux systemd secur…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Nasty Linux systemd security bug revealed
Miles Fidelman said on Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:59:49 -0400

>Because there will always be new failure modes & vulnerabilities - it
>comes with any complex engineering activity.
>
>You can teach people to avoid KNOWN failure modes & vulnerabilities,
>and establish processes and methods to avoid them (e.g., tooling,
>testing, design reviews, etc.) - but there will always be new ones -
>that can only be detected in the breach.

Exactly! The preceding list can't address 100% of exploits. The only
thing it can do is address the 90% (my guesstimate) of exploits,
leaving the remaining 10% to require ultra-intelligent badguys and rule
out the army of script-kiddies roaming the net.

As an analogy, if there were a technique to prevent 90% of car crashes,
you'd make that move and then figure out how to reduce the remaining
10%.

> Good engineers can, perhaps,
>see and avoid some.  Penetration testing can help find others before
>fielding. But ultimately, there will always be unsafe code in the
>field - that will only be detected in the breach.

Your preceding paragraph is true without a doubt. The best we can hope
for is to make it trivial for every amateur and beginning professional
coder to learn how to prevent the majority of exploits.

SteveT

Steve Litt