:: Re: [DNG] Nasty Linux systemd secur…
Author: g4sra
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Nasty Linux systemd security bug revealed
<--snip-->
> Why I'm so critical about letting it crash: I typically deal with stack
> sizes of no more around 2-8kB in automation devices and have to be careful
> with that. You can't simply let a newspaper printing machine's motor control
> crash, 1000's of newspaper pages would be trashed. Once we had a crash in

> simple limit switch device. As a result the high-rack robot pushed a

> pallet in 15m height out of the rack. Fortunately, it was just another
> robot which was destroyed (stood just below) - not a human being. Still

> a very expensive case for the company.

<--snip-->

And this is why ever sice I entered the profession I have maintained that programmers should be vetted and certified in a similar manner to other professions such as doctors and lawyers, carrying a similar social status.
Only those with the appropriate qualification and experience should be permitted to work in certain sectors.
There is nothing stopping *me* for applying for systems programming work in Nuclear Power Stations, Air Traffic Control, Industrial Robotics, etc...
I have personal knowledge of a College classmate who went on to write Air Traffic Control software, personally I would not trust him to write an App for my phone (but would be the first person to call if organising a party).

People are going to continue to die until this change happens.