:: [DNG] Steam, Mumble, Valheim, Alsa …
Author: hal
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Steam, Mumble, Valheim, Alsa and shared audio
Hi,
I have Alsa installed on Beowulf along with Steam and I guess there is some Pulse stuff installed too. I also use Mumble to chat during game play. When I'm playing Valheim, I can get sound in the game, but Mumble doesn't work.

Is this just a mis-configuration on my end, or does Also not "share" the audio between applications?

I launch steam as the "game" user (using xhost+) to keep my regular home directory and files segregated from whatever asshattery might happen from game mods/applications/etc.

Maybe having two users access the Alsa sound devices is my problem? Installed Alsa/Pulse packages and Alsa devices are below.

Thank you!

$ dpkg -l | egrep -i '(alsa|pulse)' | awk '{print $1" "$2};'
ii alsa-utils
ii apulse:amd64
ii gstreamer1.0-alsa:amd64
ii gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64
ii libasound2:amd64
ii libasound2:i386
ii libasound2-data
ii libasound2-dev:amd64
ii libasound2-plugins:amd64
ii libasound2-plugins:i386
ii libcanberra-pulse:amd64
ii libpulse-dev:amd64
ii libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64
ii libpulse0:amd64
ii libpulse0:i386
ii libpulsedsp:amd64
ii pavucontrol
ii pulseaudio
ii pulseaudio-utils
ii xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64
ii xmms2-plugin-alsa

$ aplay -L
null
jack
     JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
     PulseAudio Sound Server
default:CARD=PCH
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
     Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
     Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
     Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
     HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
     Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=PCH
     HDA Intel PCH
     USB Stream Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
     Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
     Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
     HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
     Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=NVidia
     HDA NVidia
     USB Stream Output
default:CARD=Headset
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
sysdefault:CARD=Headset
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
front:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     Front speakers
surround21:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
dmix:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
     Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
     Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=Headset
     Logitech Wireless Headset
     USB Stream Output

$ cat /home/game/.asoundrc