:: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade (was Re: USB…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade (was Re: USB mount problem)
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:44:00 +0900, Olaf wrote in message
<87czs887cf.fsf@quark>:

> Please keep in mind that apt and apt-get are two different commands.
> That said, their sets of upgrade subcommands overlap a bit. Checking
> the manual pages
>
>   apt    : upgrade full-upgrade
>   apt-get: upgrade dist-upgrade dselect-upgrade

..whenever (my goto) aptitude upgrade fails, one of the 2 above usually
solves the dependency puzzle, IME at least apt-get and aptitude solves
these dependency etc puzzles slightly differently, which is why and how
one may work when the other fails.

> Upon first glance manual pages make it look as if full-upgrade and
> dist-upgrade are the same but I am not sure the details of package
> dependency conflict resolution it identical for both.

..they are slightly different and I don't recall the differences right
now.

> On Beowulf, a `man apt` gives a manual page dated 2019-01-27. If you
> didn't install man-db and/or are looking for on-line manual pages, try
>
> https://manpages.debian.org/apt

Scenarios always come in sets of three: