:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Hi!

Anno domini 2021 Wed, 23 Jun 00:00:11 +0200
Didier Kryn scripsit:
> Le 22/06/2021 à 19:10, Steve Litt a écrit :
> [...]
>     Hopman-cli would write to the pipe 3 sorts of messages, with all the
> necessary details:
>
> - a device special file associated to a removable partition has been
> detected in /dev
> - a symlink has been detected in /dev/disk/by-label, pointing to a
> removable partition
> - a device special file associated to a removable partition has been
> removed

IMO this sounds good. I would just make it react on all partitions, not only the removable: there are broken devices out in the wild that lie about their removability. And there are devices that have wrong entries in the hw database (e.g. old Casio cameras).

Oh, hopman would only send data, not receive from the client side, would it?

> [...]
>     Then it's up to the GUI application to
>
> - parse these messages, maintain and display a list of removable
> partitions and their labels,
> - on click, spawn helpers to mount/umount/open partitions and
> potentially eject disks, check completion and report errors,
> - periodically read /proc/self/mounts and report mountpoints of
> removable partitions on the display.

Why parse /proc/self/mounts? IMO it would make more sense if hopman-cli sends "xxxx mounted on yyy" or "xxx unlounted" over the pipe, as it is already monitoring stuff.

>     Both Hopman-cli and the GUI must read hopmanrc at startup (it seems
> simpler to have a single file to configure both). Possibly the name of
> the GUI application might be specified in hopmanrc and Hopman-cli would
> launch it.

What's configurable in hopmanrc? Shouldn't it "just work" for all partitions/devices? The GUI part most likely will need some config, e.g automounting certain devices/partitions etc.

Oh, udisksctl as mount-helper will make the job easy :)

Nik