:: Re: [maemo-leste] [PATCH] arm: Remo…
Top Page
Delete this message
Reply to this message
Author: Ivaylo Dimitrov
To: Tom Rini
CC: Pali Rohár, maemo-leste, u-boot, Merlijn Wajer
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] [PATCH] arm: Remove nokia_rx51 board

On 22.05.21 г. 0:36 ч., Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2021 10:44:18 Tom Rini wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 11:52:03AM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
>>> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 03:27:48PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
>>>> On Tuesday 18 May 2021 21:26:40 Tom Rini wrote:
>>>>> This board has not been converted to CONFIG_DM_USB by the deadline.
>>>>> Remove it.
>>>> I'm very disappointed that you want to remove Nokia N900 from U-Boot.
>>>> I was waiting waiting half of year because other developers did not
>>>> react to issues which were introduced and neither to patches which I
>>>> sent (+ trying to remind open issues). And also I was waiting another
>>>> half of year until other N900 related patches were merged. So the whole
>>>> slowdown was not caused by me, why it is taking so long.
>>>> Now there is still one N900 DM related patch waiting for review. I'm
>>>> converting code step by step.
>>>> So the ball is not on my side.
>>> So, what patch(es) need to be applied to get DM_USB enabled? Thanks.
>> I don't see any open patches from you that look related to enabling
>> DM_USB on the platform. If you want to disable USB on the platform for
>> now instead, that's fine too.

I tried to migrate the latest master to DM_USB, but unfortunately the
results are pretty much sad - adding OF_CONTROL (which is a prerequisite
to have DM_USB IIUC) and OF_BOARD (so binary to be compiled), adds ~100k
to the size of the u-boot binary, so it becomes 370284 bytes. Given that
we have less than 256k of storage space for the u-boot, the produced
binary cannot be used on n900 the same way current (no DM_USB) binary is

As I see it, there are not much options left - u-boot on N900 is not
SPL, so we can't use OF_PLATDATA, which in turn always links libfdt.
Also, if I read the code (usb-uclass.c) correctly, enabling DM_USB
requires the board to be converted to DT and this is way bigger change.

Please advice on how to proceed.

> I wanted to look at next DM step -- USB -- after current DM step
> watchdog is finished. But patch for watchdog is still waiting for
> review:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20210309201915.16586-1-pali@kernel.org/
> Due to big chance of diff conflicts between these board patches, I do
> not want to have more than one part of code in "in progress" state.