:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-06-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-06-10
# Devuan meet 2021-06-10 @20:30 UTC

Present: Xenguy, LeePen, rrq, bgstack15, Hendrik, fsmithred, golinux,
RickMoen, adam (late)

## Old Business

### adam

##### New Mail List Server mailman3-full installed on mail.devuan.dev
(aka backup) running tests on port 8080 (as iptables was blocking
ports 80/443 for now). testing basic mail & list functionality and
list creation.
* DNS updates may be required, for testing, modified only
mail.devuan.dev / lists.devuan.dev records for now. following
https://git.devuan.org/devuan/nameserver all is good ... except
pushing repo for me on ns1 (with ssh -A ...) ```
root@ns1:/etc/nsd/GIT# git push Username for
'https://gitea.devuan.dev': adam Password for
'https://adam@gitea.devuan.dev': remote: User permission denied fatal:
unable to access 'https://gitea.devuan.dev/devuan/nameserver.git/':
The requested URL returned error: 403 ``` thanks to rrq for solving
this!
* postfix config changes required for testing checked in to local git in
mail.devuan.dev:/etc/postfix Known Issues
* example.com domain appears to be baked into web interface in places
* Fedora federated login icon appears by default (likely by default
config in mailmam3-web.py)
* is the archiver hyperkitty working? does it need further config?
* for transport protection compatible with the web browser/CA cabal, a
LetsEncrypt TLS cert is an option (get DANE in browsers FTW!)

## Old Actions

## New Business

### bgstack15
* Based on LeePen's work on removing uninstallable packages from
  amprolla (because of systemd once-removed dependencies or farther
  back), the oddjob-mkhomedir package has come to my attention. I always
  install a dummy package that meets this need for freeipa-client (among
  other customizations). I plan on submitting to Devuan Ceres a
  "pam-mkhomedir" package that will say "Provides: oddjob-mkhomedir"
  with clear notes that it does not actually depend on oddjob (dbus
  daemon that depends on systemd) and will actually just run
  `pam-auth-update --package --enable mkhomedir`.
* LeePen noted that this pam-mkhomedir by itself is not sufficient to
  get freeipa-client installable in Ceres. We still need to figure out
  python3-ipalib, which for myself I've just split the binary package
  and removed its "systemd" dependency. The python3-ipalib python files
  merely hardcode systemctl commands, so by using a script (from that
  aborted devuan-sanity-systemctl package) that fulfills that executable
  filename, python3-ipalib can operate as expected and freeipa-client
  will operate. So we should consider rebuilding the freeipa client
  components (freeipa server even on Debian is very iffy, but client is
  easier) for Devuan, with the customized dependency list that excludes
  systemd and instead relies on devuan-sanity-systemctl.
  * For gory details:
    https://bgstack15.wordpress.com/2019/12/10/customize-binary-package-for-devuan/

### Xenguy

#### Reddit subreddit r/devuan User [terryc
  posted](https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20210607.073443.1c8e3d46.en.html)
  on the DNG mailing list that the [Devuan
  subreddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/devuan/) appears to be moribund,
  with the last post 6 months ago, and is wondering if anyone is looking
  after it.  I took a look and saw that:
* A reddit user with a number of posts now shows their account
  'deleted'.
* The friendsofdevuan wiki is mentioned on the main page.
* The subreddit does refer to this space as "an unofficial community
  devoted to the Devuan GNU/Linux Operating System".
**Question:**  Should someone reply to terryc?
  * (gl) And what would be the purpose of that reply? If any Devuan
    users cared, the channel would be active. It has never been
    mentioned on any official Devuan resources.  I heard that there are
    also "unofficial" Devuan channels on OFTC.
    * Good question. I suppose one possibility is that terryc may be
      interested in taking the subreddit reins, but then again, perhaps
      it's better not to go there. I personally have no interest in
      Reddit, due to its proprietary nature.
      * (gl) In the very beginning I seem to remember nextime posting
        something on reddit about the VUA's and Devuan. But reddit is
        rarely mentioned on our channels (if at all). nextime via the
        poster appeared when the fork was announced:
        https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2nuhjb/one_of_the_individuals_behind_the_debian_fork/

### LeePen

#### DAK web API
* Enabled at https://api.pkginfo.devuan.org/madison and usable via the
rmadison(1) command in the devscripts package. Instructions for
configuration are in the [Maintainers
Guide](https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documentation/src/branch/master/maintainers/PackagingGuide.md#user-content-git).

#### Amprolla
* GPG validation of upstream signatures was deployed on Friday 4th June.
* Recursive deletion of banned packages being tested. If/once deployed,
  this will result in the removal of a number of cruft uninstallable
  packages: see diff at http://ix.io/3pmz.
  * Are there any comments on/problems with/objections to this?
  * Are there any packages that shouldn't be in the list? This update
    also logs information about the banned package that triggers removal
    which, I hope, will help us target missing packages and
    functionality more effectively.

#### Packaging
* Ceres/chimaera: updated choose-mirror, rootskel-gtk and first build of
mini-isos.

### golinux
* FlibberTGibbet has changed the landing page of the friendsofdevuan
wiki to announce its closing end of the month:
https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php

## New Actions

### bgstack15 (not mutually exclusive; we need both)
* Proposal 1: resurrect/initialize package
[systemctl-service-shim](https://git.devuan.org/devuan/systemctl-service-shim)
which packages a systemctl script that translates commands into the
real service and update-rc.d commands. I volunteer to maintain it.
* Proposal 2: attempt to compile python3-ipalib for Devuan so that it
does not have a "systemd" dependency, and instead has a dependency on
systemctl-service-shim. I volunteer to maintain it (assuming I get it
to work initially).

## golinux
* posts for new packaging forum, please.