:: Re: [DNG] halt
Author: g4sra
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] halt
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Thursday, June 10th, 2021 at 8:37 AM, Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

> I am researching the behavior of halt on various Linux distros. They
> seem to be inconsistent.
> halt has different man pages:
> In ascii:
> "
> AUTHOR
> Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@???
> "
>

> At https://linux.die.net/man/8/halt
> "
> Author
> Written by Scott James Remnant scott@???
> "
>

> Does anyone have any insight on this?

No.

But looking at the Beowulf changelog...

sysvinit (2.93-8+devuan1) unstable; urgency=medium
* merge 2.93-8 into unstable
-- Vincenzo (KatolaZ) Nicosia <katolaz@???> Tue, 26 Feb 2019 16:59:47 +0000

sysvinit (2.93-8) unstable; urgency=medium
  * Return alternative dependency on file-rc for convenience of
    stretch -> bustern upgrade for file-rc users.
 -- Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@???>  Thu, 14 Feb 2019 20:33:13 +0000

sysvinit (2.93-7+devuan1) unstable; urgency=medium
* merge 2.93-7 into unstable
-- Vincenzo (KatolaZ) Nicosia <katolaz@???> Mon, 04 Feb 2019 09:53:28 +0000

KatolaZ seems to have been the most recent force for keeping sysvinit-core updated with Debian devs only chipping in when it caused issues for Debian.
'halt' from Debian hasn't been updated for a year, but then updates should be infrequent for a stable core binary.
This is also exactly what I would expect when the (Debian) Devs have no vested interest in maintaining a (sysvinit) package.

So instead of comparing 'halt' man pages I suggest you compare the source versions.